April fool's South Surf (Part 1)

April 2011
Location: Naga, Camarines Sur/ Daet, Camarines Norte
Surf 4

I never thought I'd be surfing in Daet anytime soon. I got an invite from James and immediately worked my way so my mom would allow me to go. When I finally got my mom's oh so sweet "yes", I got so hyped and excited for the trip. We took the Isarog Bus Line located behind Ali Mall, Cubao. They have different rates to choose from. We took the lazy boy bus. Fare costs 800pesos one-way. Check Isarog Lines for the daily bus schedule. You can even reserve seats online! It took us 8 hours to reach Naga City. 8 long hours but the ride was comfortable. Lazy boy yeah! Fell asleep soundly. We left around 930pm of Thursday and arrived 5.30am the following day.

Yeah! Finally in Naga. Jed's mom fetched us from the bus station. After settling our things in their very chillax home, breakfast time. We rested for a while then off we went to Daet, Camarines Norte. It was a two-hour drive. We arrived Daet just in time for lunch at Leo's Cuisine in Bagasbas beach. Ordered chicken barbecue, fried chicken, and the special squid that Jed's dad specifically asked us to order. And yess ang sarap sarap ng food lalo na yung squid!

Time to hit the beach! Covered up ourselves with sunblock then off to the first surf shop we saw, the Hangloose Surf Shop. Rates of suf board rental is the same as the rates in Baler. 200pesos per hour, 400 half day, and 800 whole day. All set. I chose to rent the 7'0 board, same height as Denden.

Waves were in all direction! Sobrang kagulo. It was difficult to find the perfect channel to paddle out. I managed to reach a certain point after paddling like crazy! And zoom, my first ride in Bagasbas beach! Yeah! Anlakas ng pwersa ng alon. Lakas ng tulak, at anlaki ng alon. I was praying for safety while paddling and getting up the board. It's my first time to try surfing there so I really don't know what could happen. Extremely stoked after riding some solid waves! Surprisingly we only saw two locals playing. In Baler we see them in the line up and surf with them. Where are the local surfers? Anyway we were able to talk to the two locals, Aries and Vergel. Apparently they also know the old school local surfers in Baler!

The long hours of travel was worth it! Another happy surf trip ended. New friends. Stoked.

"LOVE.RISK.SURF.LIVE"

I super love this quote. I got this from James Asuncion. It says everything about how I feel not only towards surfing but how I feel about life in general. Just a side story, I am with different people every surf trip. Some I just meet at the line up, some are friends of my friends. Just like during this trip, Jed and Ken are both friends of James and Eric. Both of them I just met at the bus station on the day of the trip! No awkwardness whatsoever if you share the same interests--road trips, surfing, outdoor, booze, nature!

*All photos by James Asuncion

Back Track: Surf 1 (Sons); Surf 2 (Soul Surf); Surf 3 (Baler Surf Jam)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

Short Lived 2 of 2

3 1K LOSS