The Legend

1972-2013

Edmond "Janggo" Mendoza. Kuya Janggo to most people. He's one of the classic surfers in Baler, Aurora. It's such a blessing to have known him and have had close encounters with him. I will never forget that one jamming night in my soul surf in 2011. He shared a story of how he's been pushing his kumpari to learn to surf and eventually changed his life for the better. It's really heart breaking to hear his death. Another Surf Legend who will forever stay in our hearts. Thank you Kuya Janggo for being one of my surf instructors. I remember we had a surf sesh at secret spot and he'd signal me when there's an incoming wave. I'd paddle hard for it and ride it successfully. He taught me how to wall and really perfected it with his guidance. Thank you Kuya Janggo for being so welcoming and extending your hospitality by offering your home every time I go there. I'll never forget you.

 Surfing can change one's life for the better.

Here's a documentary of last year's surf comp in Puraran.
At 8:06, a passionate EDMON "JANGGO" MENDOZA chokes in his own emotions as he narrates how he loved surfing the Majestics, despite the danger. At 14:39, we see his riding style amongst the gnarly waves.



Video of Kuya Janggo charging waves in Cobra Reef


Shot by:  Hiroshi Yokohama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

3 1K LOSS

Short Lived 2 of 2