Para Sa 'yo to, Kid!

March 10-11, 2012
San Juan, La Union

Surf 2

Weeks before, Moley sent me a text inviting me to join a surf competition organized by the Manila Surfers Association. MSA as the name suggests, is composed of surfers based in Manila. Proceeds of this event will go to the Medical Mission on April 21 which will also be held in La Union.

The Event
After two long years, I get a taste of La Union waves once again! Waves were tricky, or was I just not used to the waves? Got to paddle hard. I had to do my flutter kick while paddling. That same morning was the event proper. By 9am all competitors were gathered in from of the Monaliza Point. I have never tried surfing at the point. I've never tried any reef breaks period. So I was feeling butterflies in my stomach, constantly asking Moley how to take off and get off my board after the ride. She assured that the water is deep and the reefs won't harm me just make sure to fall off the board butt first. Whew! That was a relief.

There were 9 competitors for the Wahine Novice. Moley and I were wishing to belong on the same heat. For the first round, I was in 2nd heat while Moley was in 3rd. I was kinda relaxed paddling out. No pressure. Kept reminding myself trip trip lang 'tong comp na 'to. When all three of us in our heat were positioned, the long siren sounded. Heat 2 began. 20 minutes felt so fast!  I got 3 solid long rides and a nice heavy drop. I had the feeling I'll get in round 2. True enough, results came and I got the first spot in our heat!

Round 2 was the semi-finals. Moley and I were in the same heat. Got good waves also and landed 2nd in our heat, which gave me a spot in the finals!

After the day's event came the night of partying. There was band to liven up the night. It was a happy night for everyone.

Finals the next day. Moley and I woke up early. Our final heat came. I got two waves but I was pretty sure my competitors rides were better than mine so at the end of the heat I was kind of sure I'll land 4th place. And yes, my instinct was right. Results came, and I placed fourth.  

The Finalists
 There were a total of 11 divisions.  Here are the finalists from 3rd runner up to the Champion.

Wahine Novice: Gene Villapando, Lor de Jesus, Michelle Romano and Kathryn Esguerra
Men’s Novice: Benj Pacia, Terence Concepcion, Jeff Ortega and Melf Kuhl.
Wahine SB Open: Lalai Catipon, Carla Sebastian, Camille Post Santiago and Tin Terible
Men’s SB Open: Takamura Ishikawa, Sadri Dulay, Ejay Ventura and Jasher Villaruel.
Men’s LB Open: Sadri Dulay, Ejay Ventura, Dodong Korea and Nicky Ancheta.
Wahine LB Open: Rozie Laurel Delgado, Tamara Benitez, Tin Terible and Nicola Sebastian.

FCS MSA Men’s SB Invitational Champ: Bjorn Dizon Pabon
FCS MSA Wahine SB Invitational Champ: Nikki Arce Dela Paz
FCS MSA Men’s LB Invitational Champ: Buji Libarnes
FCS MSA Wahine LB Invitational Champ:
Nikki dela Paz


Congratulations to all the winners! As for me, got to practice, and paddle harder!:) 

Back Track:
Surf 1: Hari ng Sablay 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

3 1K LOSS

Short Lived 2 of 2