Mindanao Surf

November 29-December 2, 2012
Surigao Del Sur, Mindanao
Surf 13: Sons Season 5 Mindanao Surf

4 months in the making surf trip. Finally it's happening! One hour and half plane to Butuan and another 6 hours land trip to Surigao. The long hours we endured to see the beautiful and serene place of Surigao. As soon as we arrived the Surf Camp, we unloaded our bags and boards. I was excited to check out the place. Yum-yum was there already waiting for us. He was my first ever surf instructor way back 2008 in La Union. How awesome we're seeing each other again in his home town!

with a local, yumyum, jomjom and me

Before it even got dark, Johanne, Nicco and I tried out the surf. It was a reef break but stones were smooth so nothing to worry about. Got some rides and it made me really happy.

We stayed at the Surf Camp. It's a place run by the LGU. Pretty decent place to stay by surfers who are really budget conscious like us. Each room has 2 bunk beds, safety closet and a fan. P150/person/night. Not bad! Then there's a common bathroom and a store to buy all your needs. Cold beer check!

The Surf Camp

Food choices are limited here. There's snack house if you want merienda. Lomi, pancit and burger are must-try! Or you can try Bamboo for some home cooked meals at a very cheap price. Market is walking distance from our camp actually everything is walking distance from our camp.

Kwalitiw burger at Snack House
Before retiring the night of Day 1 we had to try their local tequila. A shot of tequila and salt as chaser. Hmmm not bad! Suwabe naman at hindi gumuguhit. Crazy crazy night overflowing beer! Plus we met new friends from Cebu who joined the jamming.

That local tequila that killed us all (Photo by Dei Boado)


The next day Friday, I woke up 7:30am. Rushed outside to check the waves. It was drizzling. Everyone else was asleep. Must have been the tequila that killed them! But yeah hangover cos they all threw up. Anyway I readied Denden and went straight to the point. I was alone at the lineup. Got some long rides. Yiiii! Minutes later Yum and Attorney joined me. We transferred to another spot paddling. Medyo malayo layong langoy ah. Challenge accepted.When we finally reached the spot, an incoming wave came, paddled hard for it, and stood. The biggest wave so far and the longest ride in my entire surf life! I still vividly remember every millisecond of that ride. Ang laki nun ah, Yum exclaimed as I was paddling back to the point. Waaaah, was all I can say. Sarap!



Around 12:30pm we transferred to another spot, beach break this time. It was a long walk along the boulevard and a long swim to the point. Waves here were nice as well plus the fact that it's beach break. Kahit magpaikot-ikot pa sa ilalim, wapakels!    

By 2:30pm my long time surf buddy James arrived all the way from Dumaguete! Yeahay! Back at the Surf Camp, we rested for a while and then off to see the Magkawas Falls. It was a 15-20min trek to the falls. Very very nice. Of course we didn't let the chance pass, we swam an fought the cold temp plus the many mosquitoes. I killed more than 5!

Magkawas Falls

From Magkawas falls we went to the Marine Sanctuary. I brought my mask/snorkel with me but I didn't dive anymore because we were rushing to surf the Sanctuary also known as Seven Stones before it gets dark. Again we had to swim all the way to the point. Kwalitiw on my first wave! Long ride but I had to pay for it. Got stuck, my feet hurt, I couldn't get away from the incoming waves. It took a while before I could paddle back to the point. Whew! No pain no gain. It was getting dark already, I couldn't see the waves anymore. So I asked Johanne that we head back. It was the longest swim ever. I was catching my breath after. Cam and James were missing. It was really dark already and we couldn't trace them back. After some time, Yum saw them safe.

Saturday morning it was raining so we surfed a little later. We went to another surf spot. It was a long walk, although Yum said malapit lang yun. It's a reef break and they call it the Habag point. Pretty scary. I had a hard time paddling back to the lineup. Got some decent waves. Tiring. Very tiring.

Habag Point

Fiesta lunch after that tiring surf. Grilled bangus, ensalada, liempo, mangoes. Hayyy saraaap! Rested for a while then off to the beach break to surf. Ahhh this is the good life! Everyday surf. Surf everyday.

Inihaw prepared by Yum and Dang
 
What I love about this place is it's laid back, simple, virgin. Not everyone has discovered this place and I fear that someday this too will be commercialized. I hope not! I will surely go back here despite the long travel. Sobrang sulit! If you want to really get away from all the people and the busy Manila, this is the place to be! I found my second home break! Yeah and it's here in Mindanao.

Their famous Bamboo Board. This one is high-perf 5 years in the making
Another one for the books surf trip with the best surf buddies! We have another year to explore more undiscovered surf spots here in the Philippines. Can't wait for our Isabela and other trips lined up next year!  Love.Risk.Surf.Live

Sons and Daughters of the Beach (Photo by Johanne)


Back Track 

Surf 12: Wounded Wendy

More photos soon waiting for Johanne's, Cam's and Nicco's:)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

3 1K LOSS

Short Lived 2 of 2