Graduate Studies Essay

I was cleaning my files and I found my Graduate Essay. I wrote this July 16, 2012 as part of my application for MS Environmental and Natural Resources Management in the UP Open University. I'm posting it here so I can delete the file already:)


I have this deep love for the ocean as I was growing up. I like swimming and even tried water sports like dragon boat, skin diving and surfing. This love for the ocean turned into a great passion for marine conservation when I became a member of the UP Marine Biological Society (UP MBS). UP MBS is an environmental, skin diving organization that aims to promote awareness of the marine environment thru the sport of skin diving and the principles of environmentalism. I was exposed to various marine organisms as we dove and explored our islands. I had a chance to head an International Coastal Cleanup back in college. The cleanup was followed by a lecture on how the youth can help save the environment. Because of this organization, I’ve become more concerned in protecting the ocean.

 My purpose for applying to the distance education program is to deepen my foundation on natural resources and environment management. I have no background on the Science behind natural resources, thus applying for the distance education program will equip me as I venture in developing and implementing environmental strategies and action plans that will ensure sustainable development on the said field.  

Without a doubt, little attention is spent for the conservation of the environment. Most marine pollution comes from land-based activities. The waste produced on land eventually reaches the oceans. Yes there are visible movements in protecting the environment, like the use of brown paper bags in groceries in place of plastic bags. But this method brought about objections by consumers and not to mention inconveniences that annoy them. The real reason is our refusal to properly dispose of wastes, whether plastic, paper, rubber and others that contribute to the contamination or marine ecosystems and coastal areas. Conservation starts from within.

I enjoy doing field works. The first-hand experience of seeing and actually doing things gives me a sense of fulfillment. When I finish my graduate study, I plan to exercise the things that I’ve learned by offering consultancy to agencies whether government or private. I will provide technical assistance for planning and management, regulatory compliance and enforcement, and entrepreneurial development in environmental products and services. There are various career opportunities for Natural Resources and Environment Management; I realized I can do this for a living. I wish to influence creation and implementation of environmental policies as well. I plan to promote and raise awareness to various organizations, the impact of different environmental issues whether legislative matter or even best practice on corporate and social responsibility. Education is an important key, thus as part of my advocacy, I intend to share my knowledge thru teaching.
     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

Short Lived 2 of 2

3 1K LOSS