Oars Up

March 13, 2011
Location: Roxas Boulevard, Manila (Bay Walk)
Manila Broadcasting Corporation Race

It was the first race the UP Dragonboat Team joined for this year. It served as a practice race for the coming Boracay race on April. The team had entries for the mixed and mens heat. The mixed team was the competitive team as compared to the mens since all the members of the mixed crew are those who train regularly. Most paddlers in the mens heat had no training at all or had trained but weeks and weeks before. Ok so guess where I belong? The Mens team! Hahaha yes yes yes. I don't have any training at all. My last training was in January around second week.

Why did our coach insisted that we join the race despite no training? Well to avoid having the mixed team load the mens heat as well. Energy and strength conservation.

Mens heat loaded first. I was a little nervous. I don't know anymore if I still got the form! Hahaha imagine how many weeks without training, and then boom RACE TIME. I was the third man together with Isa my partner.

Warm up row going to the starting line. 300m race felt so looong! I was grasping for breathe after the race. My arms and back were aching. Pagod at ngalay na ngalay. We didn't finish first but we weren't left behind by the rest of the competing teams.

The Mixed team on the other hand finished second in heat which brings them to the finals. Yeah! Good job Mixed team.

I realized I miss rowing! Ang sarap sumagwan... I miss rowing with the team. I miss the encouraging words, "tara UP LABAN; palakas yan walang bibigay; let's go partner" while rowing. I miss hearing the commands, "stand by, oars up, row!, ready for 20 power longs? ready!, ready for pick up?, ready for last kick?, EASY!" I miss the breakfast after training. I guess I'll be training soon!


Back Track: 3rd Leg Regatta, UP Dragonboat Team

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

Short Lived 2 of 2

3 1K LOSS