The Drifter




 

Directed by Taylor Steele

The Drifter was chosen as the "Best Film" at the Ombak Bali International Surf Film Festival and bagged "Best Film" title at the California Surf Film Festival, which took place in Oceanside, CA.

In the summer of 2008, iconic surfer and former Pipe Master Rob Machado flew to Indonesia to experience a different kind of surf trip. A journey that would take him way beyond his comfort zone, to the point where he could finally be alone with his thoughts, his desires and the empty perfection of an unnamed Indian Ocean reef. What did he discover? You never stop dreaming. Even when they come true.

I wish to do the same in the near future. A soul surf trip in Bali or in Africa. I'd like to experience their culture. It's nice to be around people who don't know you at all. The new friendship you are to build will surely be a lasting and priceless one.

I had my own Soul Surf trip February 2011. I must say it was a humbling experience. I learned a lot from the locals. I discovered things I wouldn't have known if I didn't have this trip. Most of all I got to know true and sincere people who I consider my family.

For now let's place my surf Bali and Africa in my bucket list. :)

And oh I'd like to share my favorite line from the movie:

Everything moves in cycles. I thought that being completely isolated will bring me peace of mind. But now I realize that it’s the people around us who bring our experiences to life. You dream of the perfect wave, the perfect job, the perfect house, the perfect love. But when we get there, we dream of something else.
 –Rob Machado, The Drifter

Btw, got this movie from Nicco, who I find very much like Rob Machado except the hair of course. Both of them have the same surf style and yes sheltered by a very sturdy tent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

Short Lived 2 of 2

3 1K LOSS