Endless Samar Surf

August 25-28, 2012
Sons and Daughters of a Beach S3E13
Borongan, Eastern Samar
Surf 10: The Endless Samar Surf

Done with the PreSamar preparations. Now we're bound to Samar! Our flight to Tacloban was at 3:10pm. It was a smooth flight and we arrived Tacloban ahead schedule. Our pilot must have been excited for us too! We had to wait for Johanne, Biggel, Cathy, and Chino cos their flight was 2 hours later than ours. Oh wait, Chino was left behind, hahaha but yes caught up with us the next day.

When we were all complete, our travel continued. From Tacloban, we had a 4-hour land trip to Eastern Samar. It was a long tiring ride! Highlight: We passed by the San Juanico bridge! Too bad though we didn't have a photo. We'll surely go back to witness this bridge with the sun shining so brightly. Around 1am we finally reach Pebbles and Tides or is it really Peebles and Tides?? hahaa anlabo lang.We had two cottages and to my surprise, both had aircon! Yeah didn't expect that.

Jeep to Duptours, then from Duptours to Borongan

The next day, what else do you look for, the morning surf! Waves were so so. But I give the spot a chance cos it's not really its season. The surf spot was in the same resort where we stayed. There's a river mouth which makes the spot even nicer. The beach was so clean. The water, crystal clear. Virgin area. We were the only guests so we had the surf spot all to ourselves. There are a number of local surfers. I think we had 2 or 3 at the line up with us. Of course Cayote was with us, our local guide. This is the first time I surfed where we were the only ones at the line up. There are no surf shacks. If you need boards you can contact Cayote. I really hope this place doesn't get exploited or developed commercially. I like it that way, simple.  

The surf spot

In the afternoon waves got better, definitely bigger than the morning waves. I got nice long rides and a big solid drop which I still remember vividly. Can't let go of that feeling. Sobrang sarap at sobrang saya ko nakuha ko yung alon na iyun. That wave made my day, I kept on smiling after. Thank you Denden for that ride!:)

Lusong na


What I love about this province, is its laid back and simple lifestyle. There are no fast food chains, no Jollibee for that matter, and no malls, no jeepneys (but they have a party tricycle as mode of transportation). Fresh clean air for your lungs and fresh sea food for you stomach hahaha! They do have street food corner. Sarap! Chicken skin, isaw, barbecue, etc.  

Fiesta party on our last day. We had fresh fish care of Cha's dad. Thank you! Ang sarap talaga nung isda pati kilawin masarap. To cap the day off, we had to conquer Can-Obing bridge. Bridge jumping, if there's such a term. I don't like heights much more jumping from something high. But because of peer pressure and our philosophy, COMMIT, I gave in to the challenge. It was a long meditation for me to finally jump. WAAH!!! Parang pati puso ko nalaglag ang tagal bago bumagsak sa tubig. Done. That's one fear off my list. I don't know if I'll ever do that again.

commit
commit

1am of Tuesday, it was time to leave. Going home is always the saddest part of the trip. Samar already has a special place in my heart. I'll definitely go back when season comes and I'll check out other spots in Samar!

What a season ender! Sons and Daughters of a Beach S3E13 ends in Borongan, Eastern Samar.

Can't wait for the pilot episode of Season 4! Surf's up, Siargao Island!

Love.Risk.Surf.Live.  

Endless Samar from Johanne Negre on Vimeo.

Back Track 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

Short Lived 2 of 2

3 1K LOSS