Heat 1

Yesterday was the Philippine Dragon Boat Federation's Second Leg Regatta. By 7am the womens team started warming up. We were on heat 1 and up agains 3 other teams. By 7.30 the womens team loaded the boat. It's already my 5th race but I still feel nervous, add to that the new form we'll be trying out for the first time on a race. We've been practicing the form for weeks. We haven't perfected it but at least for the starts we are able to execute it well.

"Attention! Are you ready??" shouts the umpire. Followed by the gun shot! and ROW!!! The team reacted quickly. Our program was 30 power starts, longs, pick up, last kick. I love the starts! I felt the boat so light. Surprisingly with the new form, we were ahead all the other teams by a boat's distance! But then towards the last 150m we bugged down and couldn't sustain the rate any longer. We finished third on heat. Not bad but I know we could have done better.

Back to our tent, the rest of the mens team were cheering for us and telling us how nice and strong our starts was. I saw the video by Steph. And wow! My jaw dropped when I saw our lead at the beginning. Now we know how powerful our new form is. All we have to do is to train more. We have another race to prepare for, CAMSUR on October. This is it we can do it! LABAN!


Here's a video of Heat 1 taken by Steph Salonga. We're on lane 1.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Rush

Short Lived 2 of 2

3 1K LOSS